Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Power of Humility

The sky is blue, the sun is bright, the air is hot (it may or may not have reached 112 degrees this week... ;) and I am as happy as can be!

I had a fun week. I'm starting to feel at home here. The cactus are beautiful and majestic instead of alien and strange.

But I think the hardest thing for me to adjust to on my mission is the fact that I don't know what I'm doing. Really though, my pride has been my biggest obstacle. I'm used to knowing what to do and where to go and how to act and what to say... I came out here and I knew nothing. And I did not react well to that. (insert exasperated face here)

BUT... the good news is that I'm getting over it. I'm starting to remember who I am and why I came out here. My Heavenly Father loves me, and has entrusted me with this mission and this area. He thinks I can do it, and I don't doubt Him.

My favorite scriptural promise of the week is found in Ether 12:23-27. It bespeaks many of the feelings I have felt - awkward, inadequate and weak. But the promise is this: God makes weak things strong.

There is a song called When I Learn by Katherine Nelson. I have listened to it on repeat for two days straight ( I have a very patient companion... ;) only for the chorus which goes: "I can learn to dance, I can learn to sing, I can learn to make my mind conquer anything. I can learn to love, I'll learn to succeed, I can learn to let God make me strong where I am weak..."

That is my determination! I may not know everything yet, or even most things, but I can learn. I can learn to let God shape me into the missionary He wants me to become. <3 Love.

Other random little things:

-Sister Ball took me out to knock on doors this week. Strangely, that was far less intimidating to me than talking to people on the street (presumably because of all the practice I had working with the ward missionaries :) and it was a lot of fun.

-On a similar note, I'm working on my OYMing skills. OYM is Open Your Mouth. That's when you just randomly go up and talk to someone on the street about the gospel. I have a very strong dislike for this practice, but not because I don't want to talk to strangers about the gospel, but because I find small talk distasteful. So I've got to the point where I just skip small talk altogether and just share my testimony with them. I find it better by far. :)

- Did I tell you guys we found a scorpion in the church bathroom at one of our district meetings? Yeah, it was a creepy little bugger. But they glow neon under a black light. ;)

I miss you all! But I love it here. Thank you for all your letters and prayers.

With love,
Sister Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment