Monday, May 12, 2014

Think English, Hear Spanish, Speak Russian

So there was this one time (like, say, four days ago) when I went on exchanges with one of the Spanish-speaking sisters. Guess what? I don't speak Spanish. :) But she taught me a few phrases that I could use in our lessons for that day, including how to introduce myself in Spanish. Well, the time came and I introduced myself... In Russian. Not Spanish. Facepalm moment. xD
 
But seriously, this week has been great. I'm finally feeling like I might have my feet under me. Sister Ball and I went to a Muslim family's home the other night and if you know, they pray at certain times of the day. We happened to be over at one of these times. We respectfully observed their prayer and afterward their family sat together with us and we discussed religion.
 
At first it was really scary to be because I was hyper-aware of the fact that I am a missionary now, and my purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by being baptized. I didn't know what to say to this family, who were so kind and open to us. I knew I was there to share the gospel, but I was so afraid of belittling their beliefs in any way. I didn't know how to act or what to say. 
 
But then, I remembered that I may be a missionary, but I am also still a person. And as a person, I love people, and I love to learn. So I let go of the image I had of myself being a perfect missionary, and I was just myself. And as myself, we talked and shared our beliefs. We talked about temples, about God, about prayer and about prophets. It wasn't hard to share my testimony with them when I wasn't thinking about it. It wasn't hard to tell them that I loved the gospel because it meant I could be with my family always -  because that's true, and that love I have for the gospel is part of who I am. It's not something I adopted when I became a missionary, it's ingrained into my soul.
 
So yeah, I feel like remembering who I am as a person is going to help me a lot as a missionary ha ha. :)
 
Other cool things that happened this week:
 
My companion and I built three giant cabinents for a garage on Saturday. It was hard work, but they turned out beautiful and I sure felt good about it. :)
 
I got to call home! If I could ever cry tears of happiness, it would have been then. I love the people out here in Arizona, but there is something about talking with people who really understand you that makes life better. My family really is evidence that my Heavenly Father loves me. <3
 
Oh, and did I mention that I am now the designated driver of our vehicle, and probably will be for the rest of my mission? And I haven't gotten sick since they put me in the drivers seat! Happy days. :)
 
I love you all! Life is beautiful and happy. We have hope because of our Lord Jesus Christ, and He loves you. Never forget that. :)
 
Sincerely, Sister Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment