Tuesday, September 16, 2014

God's Laughter

I heard someone say last week "If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans." I thought about how I told him I couldn't serve somewhere hot, and I agreed wholeheartedly. xD

But there's this thing where I've felt like God has been very close to me this week. It's like He's been right by my side, answering prayers, showing miracles, telling me I am loved and valuable and yes, poking fun at me from time to time. :) Tuesday we prayed that we wouldn't be hot while we were out working. We got caught in a rainstorm. Wednesday, we prayed that our butts wouldn't get sore while we rode our bikes around all day. Sister Taylor's bike broke. >.< Thursday we prayed that whoever fed us dinner would give us leftovers, and they gave us so much food! :D I'm catching on now, that God is listening to everything I pray for. I'm praying more and more fervently for our investigators and for you people back home. ;) I know they are being answered.

But then here's another thing: Our mission president likes to emphasize using our individual talents to help us in our missionary work. For the past few weeks I've watched missionaries find success through random things - Slacklining, basketball, horse care, computers, public speaking, ect ect ect... And here I've been thinking "What the heck am I even good at? I love to read, write, listen... none of that applies here." It's been a bit discouraging. For all my intelligence and skills, I felt useless. 
Well do your remember me telling you about our Chinese investigator, Sabrina? Well here's the story: Yesterday, she was asking me and Sister Taylor about our college experience. When she was satisfied that we were intelligent beings, she asked if we could help her with her with her English grammar while she wrote a paper. And I was like... um yes. :]
This resulted in me and Sister Taylor listening and helping her put her English sentences together while she explained what points she was trying to get across. It was seriously SO MUCH FUN. It reminded me of being in college again. And you know what I realized? I am useful. My talents are good. God can use me. :) It was a little tender mercy from Him.

Really though, there have been times out here when I've felt like God was so far away. This week, He let me know He's right here. :) You go through ups and downs on your mission. This has been an up week. I am supremely happy and content to be here. I feel like I'm doing good, and I'm loving everything about missionary work. It's a good time in my life. But I do miss you all. 

Oh hey, side note... Last year, September 9th is when I received the revelation from God that I needed to serve a mission. I started my papers two days later. It's been a year since this adventure really started, can you believe it? I still remember it like yesterday. :) Time goes by super fast. I've been out for nearly five months. I've learned a lot, and I'm starting to forget what normal life is like ha ha.

I'll be back before you know it. I'm learning to enjoy every moment while it's here. :) Have a great week!

Love, Sister Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment