Monday, February 2, 2015

Planting Flowers

The sun is shining today. It's real pretty. The Arizona sky is the most beautiful sight to behold. It stretches on forever, and it is so incredibly blue.
It's been raining the last few days, which I don't mind. The rain is also a beautiful thing, especially a warm rain. We got to plant flowers for a service project, and it ended up sprinkling on us. That was a happy moment - digging around in the dirt and getting rained on and laughing and talking, all in the pursuit of putting a little more beauty in the world. :)
I've never devoted a lot of time to gardening pursuits, though the idea does appeal to me. Seeds are a funny thing if you think about it. They're just these little insignificant specks, but you stick them in some dirt... AND THEY GROW! :O Tiny specks inexplicably become little spurts of green popping out of the ground. It's quite miraculous. How do they do that? What drive them to grow upward, to seek the sunlight and become more than what they are? Why do they do that? Wouldn't it be easier just to stay in the dirt, dark and safe where they can't get trampled or poked or eaten? But no. They're stubborn, those little seeds, and they insist on growing.
When you think about it, we are also miraculous things. We're just these little spirits, and you stick us in these mortal bodies... AND WE GROW! :O
Okay, I know human beings are a lot more complex than seeds. But still. The analogy can be drawn. :) If you think about it, seeds need a few things to grow: Water, sunlight and dirt. Maybe - and just bear with me here - we need the same basic things. We need love, which is like light. We need dirt - which could be our challenges, trials, weaknesses. We need to learn from those things, and to plant our roots in them so we can stand tall. We can gain nutrition from the dirt we grow in! And we need water. Which could be our communication with our Heavenly Father - Prayer, scripture study, meditation. Whatever else. These things help us grow. Tiny little seeds become tiny little sprouts become flowers. :) Or great towering oaks, but for now it seems enough to become a flower ha ha.
Growth. It comes a little at a time, sometimes so slow we don't even know it's happening. But it comes.
My scripture of late seems be 2 Nephi 28:30 - "For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line,precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto my precepts, and lend an ear unto mycounsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, fromthem shall be taken away even that which they have."

I've been overcoming challenges that at times seemed insurmountable. This morning as I was studying I stopped and though back to a couple of weeks ago and realized - "Hey... I've come a long way." I've progressed, changed, overcome a lot of things. But I can't even pinpoint one moment when it all changed. There was no defined moment. It came a little at a time - through a quote found here, a scripture there, several mornings and nights spent in prayer. A few conversations with different people, a few times where I forgot my challenges in the pursuit of helping others. It's just come, tiny pieces at a time.
I don't have the answers, or the solutions to life's hardships. All I have is the undefinable faith in my Savior Jesus Christ. He's pulled me through a lot of difficult things, and I know He will in the future too. I know that no matter how difficult things get, no matter how dark things look, no matter how low I go - there will always be and upswing. There will always come a light. There will always be relief. Darkness never wins. Darkness never lasts.
And every flower has to grow through some dirt. :)
So just keep holding on. Go forward on what faith you have, even if it just seems so little. It is enough. You are enough. :) God loves you. He will never give up on you.
Remember that.

 Sister Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment